Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Classics Club Spin #6 is...

NUMBER 1

That means I will be reading The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing!

I am really looking forward to reading this book!



Doris Lessing won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2007, with the Swedish Academy describing her as 
"that epicist of the female experience, who with skepticism, fire and visionary power has subjected a divided civilization to scrutiny."


This book contains 635 pages. Not a quick read, that's for sure! 
(Especially for me!)

It was originally published in 1962. My edition contains a 3-page introduction from 1993 and a 17-page introduction from 1971! I typically find such sections to be very informative and pertinent to my understanding and enjoyment of the novel.

I have no idea exactly what to expect, so will be diving in very soon since the review is to be posted by July 7!

Per Wikipedia
"This book, as well as the couple that followed it, enters the realm of what Margaret Drabble in The Oxford Companion to English Literature has called Lessing's 'inner space fiction,' her work that explores the mental and societal breakdown." That sounds quite interesting...and perhaps intense! I like intense! :)

Have you read any of Doris Lessing's books? This one? Or others? Feel free to leave a comment! I have a feeling this will be an adventure!

Check back July 7 and hopefully, I will have posted a review!

No comments:

Post a Comment